Thursday 4 September 2014

Start Small ~ Add As You Go


Hi Everyone,

Today I want to show you how easy it is to make more of your own embellishments by starting small and creating multiple layers until you get your desired finished project.  Sometimes by starting small, it doesn’t seem quite as overwhelming.  This is also a great way to use some of those scraps in your stash or extra paper pads. 

First, I find some plain or patterned paper.  Then I cut this paper into rectangles.  They can be any size, but I would cut them all the same to begin with.  It makes it easier to make several at a time.  In this tutorial, I cut all of mine into rectangles roughly 2.5” by 2”.  

Next, cut those patterned rectangle pieces on the diagonal.  Don't cut all of your rectangle pieces because you need some of them as a backing for the diagonally cut pieces.   


Now comes the fun part of piecing the different patterned pieces together to make the first layer of your embellishments.  Start matching up some of the diagonal pieces with your rectangles until you get them the way you want.  Adhere the diagonal pieces onto the rectangle. 



Try adding some circles punches, square punches, buttons, word art, or whatever you want as another layer.  Use your imagination.  I'm really loving circles lately.  So I used my two different sized circle punches.  For some of these, I used pop dots to make them more dimensional. 


You can use these just as they are or take them and add it to a 4x6 piece of card stock to use as a card topper, pocket page filler card or on one of your layouts. For these, I added a couple more layers of solid color rectangle card stock.  I then mounted them onto a 4x6 card and added some fish tail accents. 



See how easy that is?  Just start small and continue to build your layers until you get to your desired finished project.  I like to make several small ones just to have on hand.  That way I can use them later to make cards or add to my layouts.  I keep them stored in an old glass candleholder.  

Here's an 8 1/2 x 11 layout I made using a couple of the embellishments:

I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial and are inspired to start making some of your own layered embellishments.  Thanks for stopping by!


Sandi Chromey
Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial. I am trying to do a similar thing using up my stash of sticker, die cuts and other small embellishments that are really to small to add to a page by themselves. I can incorporate your idea as well for that base on which to add these embellishments. Thank you - I love this blog and the ideas you ladies have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...