Wednesday 4 June 2014

3 Ways To Use Your Misting Spray

 

Hello everyone! My name is Carlie Hamilton, and this is my first contribution to the Scrap Your Scraps blog! Today I am going to show you three ways you can use your mist sprays.

   I created a video showing these techniques which you can see here:


 

1. Use Your Spray as a Negative

The first idea is to use your spray as a negative of a mask.

A lot of the time when people spray mist on their layout they use a mask. My idea is to use your spray as a negative of a mask.

First you spray your mist on your layout. Next, using moulding paste and a stencil, spread the paste out over the stencil so that it is the positive of the stencil, and your spray is the negative.

  • Bonus idea 1 - mix in a bit of paint or another colour misting spray, especially if your moulding paste dries clear.
  • Bonus idea 2 - Before you spray down your mist, put down the mask and add a resist.


2. Double Your Splatter

The second tip is to use two different sprays when you splatter it on your page.
You can use similar colours, as I have, or completely different colours. This helps to really bring some depth to the background of your pages.

  

3. Use Your Spray To Define Edges

Instead of using ink to define your edges, use your misting spray! I tried two different applications - paint brush and sponge. I found that the sponge left a more consistent edge than the paint brush, but both are fun so give it a try :)


Here is the final page:


How Do You Spray?

Let me know your misting spray techniques in the comments below!

You can find me on my blog Create Mess, and don't forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel for more great process videos!

Carlie Hamilton
Creative Team Member of Scrap Your Scraps


 Hello Everyone

Carlie's layout was very inspiring and using my mists in different ways is a way I play around when I want to get an "artsy" look to my layouts. I created this layout using my mists in a few different ways.  I started out with a thin layer of Gesso on my 12x12 white card stock sheet.  I then layered it with some light molding paste using a small circle stencil from Heidi Swapp.  After that dried I took a paint brush and dipped it into my Heidi Swapp Primrose mist and brushed it across my page adding some water to dilute it.  I also had a package of wood veneer mini stars and wanted them turned into gold.  In order to do that I sprayed them twice with Studio Calico White Mr Huey mist.  After they dried I sprayed them with the Heidi Swapp Gold mist a couple of times until I got the look I wanted.  I also took the gold mist and using a  watercolour brush painted parts of my page again.  For some splatters I took the paint brush and splattered the gold mist all over the page as well.  It was great fun getting a little messy with the mists and I was able to give my page an artistic look without having any different supplies than my mists.




Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY SCRAPPIN'!

  Mandy Reedyk
  Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS

4 comments:

  1. Great video...I have all of those things and have to put them to use...Your video has definitely inspired me...thank for sharing...

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to say great job to each one of you! Carlie I love this layout and I am soooo gonna scraplift this! Mandy I just love what you created, the airy feel of your layout and the stars are just beautiful. Solange I love your background and the way you did your journalling! So much inspiration, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of you have given me so much inspiration! I'm going to have to give these different techniques a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...