Wednesday 13 August 2014

Lets Catch the Doodle Bug! - Doodling on Your Layouts

Hey everyone, it's Cathy here again with another post for Scrap Your Scraps.
Today I'm going to show you guys some of the layouts I've created using my good ol' Micron pen and some cardstock.

I'm a doodler at heart.  At school my notebook margins were covered with doodles, and now as an adult I'm a designer and illustrator, so I guess all that doodling paid off.  There's something I find funny though, for the longest time I was afraid to doodle on my pages.  I don't know if I was scared that it was permanent, or that my drawings wouldn't be good enough, but lately I've been trying to overcome that feeling.

Doodling on a page, whether creating a background, or embellishments, or journaling, is a way to show a part of ourselves to whomever is looking through our scrapbooks.  Now keep in mind these are just doodles and are in no way a reflection of me as an artist, in the same way that your doodles are exactly that, doodles.
Every great artist doodles and sketches, sometimes taking a great amount of time and detail, and sometimes just whipping something up in the spur of the moment.  So don't be scared, grab your pen and paper and lets DOODLE!!!

For my first example I simply created my own background.  I had seen a paper that I liked that had a chevron print on it that looked very handmade, but since I didn't have the money to pay for shipping I decided to do the next best thing and create my own paper.  This is a great way to use up white cardstock, and you could create as many different patterns as you'd like to use at a later time.


I think I will definitely be giving creating my own background another try, with a different pattern, I really love how this one turned out.  My next layout is a bit more experimental.  I am posting it, even though I'm not 100% in love with it, but I want to post it so you can get the idea of how fun doodling can be.  I feel my heart was in the right place with this one, but I may have to go back to the drawing board (pun definitely intended!) and give it another go!


Lastly I decided to make some embellishments inspired by ones I saw on Pinterest.  These are made by just drawing circles with a Sharpie, almost like a spirograph without the fun toy from the 90's!


I am very much looking forward to using these on a future page, they were very easy and fun to make, and I can see even more possibilities based on this idea.

I hope that I've inspired you to get out some cardstock and a pen and go to town creating your own paper, or embellishments, or even just adding some doodle accents to a finished page!


  Cathy Martin
   Creative Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS



I was intrigued by Cathy's post on doodling.  I was just like her ~ always doodling on my notebooks in school, but I never thought to use it for my scrap booking.  So I decided to give it a try.  I didn't want the task to be too daunting.  So I started small with a piece of scrap paper.  For some reason, I've really been into circles lately.  So I decided to fill this one with some circle doodles.  I used a black Sharpie marker. 


For these two, I took some scraps of paper and used a white Gelly Roll pen.  I really like how these turned out using a type of hash tag doodling.  

 I thought the black and white one would look really pretty with some red.  So I added some hearts and then used the negative space from the hearts as a border.  Then I added some white punched flowers with purple enamel dots on the circle doodle paper.  I had some green transfers that I rubbed on white paper, inked the edges, and added to the hash tag doodle paper.  This is how  they turned out. 

Then I took the red hearts card and used it on a layout of my great-niece's recent 6th birthday.  I love how this turned out.  I even added some doodling on the heart border along the top. 



I was amazed at how much fun I had creating these.  I know I will continue to do more doodling.  It's a great stress reliever, too.  You can do these just about anywhere.  I really want to thank Cathy for this great idea and inspiring me to give doodling a try on my layouts!










Sandi Chromey
Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS




2 comments:

  1. Sandi I love the cards you created! The white on black is very nice, it has an awesome "chalkboard" feel to it, so popular right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy! I wouldn't have done this without your inspiration! It was really fun. Loved seeing your finished projects, too. The spirograph embellishments are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...