Saturday 28 June 2014

Layouts - Mixing Old with New

Hi everyone!  I'm so excited to share with you today my thoughts about mixing older products with newer when creating your layouts.

If you are like me at all, you have quite a stash of products.  I have, in the past, been guilty of hoarding my newest products for just the right project.  The problem with that, of course, is that the "right project" just never comes along.  In the past couple of years, I've gotten over the fear of using up my newer products.  That's what they are there for, right???  So, that leaves me (and probably you too!) with the dilemma of what to do with those products you've had for 2, 3, maybe even 5 years or more.

So, one thing I've done is challenged myself to use at least one older product on my more recent layouts.  For this layout, most of my products were at least two years old, but I wanted to make sure to incorporate products I've acquired in the past 6 months or so.

I had this precious picture of my niece working on one of her water color masterpieces and had not yet gotten around to scrapbooking it.  I used to colors in the photo to choose a variety of background papers and embellishments.



I chose several older, but brightly colored papers from Bella Boulevard and one much more recent chalkboard style paper from Crate Paper to offset the vibrancy of the other patterns, knowing that I would be doing some layering.  Some new clip embellishments, a chipboard frame, and die cut picture from Crate Paper, along with some more recent envelops from Studio Calico and an older flare pin and more colorful offerings from Bella Boulevard rounded out my product.  I also just received a big bag of cute buttons that I wanted to include somehow.

I knew when I started, I probably wouldn't be using all of these items on my actual layout, but if you want to try this process, I suggest pulling out more than you are going to use just so that you give yourself some options!

Here is the finished product with a mix of older papers and embellishments with a splash of some new!  The letter stickers are also a few years older.




Thanks for reading and I hope you have been inspired to create using older items from your stash!

  Deedee Horton
  Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS


2 comments:

  1. Adorable layout! I have the same problem of holding on to that new piece of perfect paper until it turns in to old stuff in my stash! I'm trying to make myself use more of the new stuff, and I really like the idea of mixing some old in with the new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty page, I like how you worked in the buttons. I love mixing and matching.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...